Kaskazi is committed to sea kayak safety and therefore offer an introductory paddling proficiency course to encourage paddlers to learn the fundamentals of kayaking safety. No experience is required and we provide all the necessary safety gear as well as the kayaks. If you have your own kayak it is preferable to complete the course in it to ensure maximum benefit form the course.
- Awareness of safety equipment and rescue procedures
- Ability to paddle and manoeuvre a kayak competently
- Knowledge of your limitations in terms of kayak, weather and sea conditions
- Familiarity with the coastline from Granger Bay to Clifton
- Awareness of capsize and rescue techniques
The duration of the course is roughly 4 hours depending on the size of the group and the conditions.
Groups are limited to a maximum of 6 per instructor to ensure proper attention to all paddlers.
- 09:00 – 09:15 Introduction and weather forecast check
- 09:15 – 10:00 learn and practice the 5 fundamental paddling strokes on the beach: (Forward, Reverse, Forward Sweep, Reverse Sweep and Brace)
- 10:00 – 11:00 Launch, stability and manoeuvring of a kayak in the confines of the bay
- 11:00 – 11:15 Break
- 11:15 – 11:30 Pre-launch kayak safety check & route brief
- 11:30 – 13:00 Practice above mentioned skills with focus on group safety, weather conditions and observing the coastline. Awareness of your capabilities
- 13:00 – 13:30 Introduction to capsize and rescue
- 13:30 – Optional individual demos of Kaskazi kayaks
Since we provide all the kayak gear, all you need to bring is:
- Comfortable beach wear that won’t stay wet / bathing costume / Lycra gym wear / wick dry clothing / board shorts
- sun protection – hat, sunglasses, sun block
- change of clothes for afterwards