- Successful pre-launch preparation and planning
- Launching and landing through surf up to 1 m
- Effective straight line kayaking – into/with/side-on to waves
- Efficient rudder and paddle use to maintain a course irrespective of conditions
- Side surf a kayak in surf up to 1m and enjoy playing with a kayak in the surf zone
- Reverse landing in surf
This is dependent on the individual. Individually one hour instruction, another hour of practice makes perfect.
- Safety and sea condition briefing
- Instructor will help you familiarize yourself with kayak and conditions
- Once comfortable, assist you to launch safely through on coming surf with awareness on paddling technique in a surf zone
- Instructor will assist until you feel confident in waves up to 1m
- Practice bracing technique and understand how a kayak behaves while running down a wave, focus on effective use of your paddle and/or rudder
- Remain calm and practice of getting back into your kayak should you capsize
- Awareness of other people in the surf, etiquette and right of way.